Pentacon Six Project. Step one – removing top plate and examining the shutter.

This evening I took my first steps to repairing my Pentacon six by having a look at what was stopping the second curtain closing when the shutter is fired. To do that I had to remove the top plate of the camera so I could examine it and I’ve detailed that procedure here. I won’t give any more details than the pictures because it is all pretty self explanatory and was actually quite easy. To see the pictures in full size use this link.

What I found when I got the top off was that the mechanics of the film advance and shutter speed dials were completely bone dry. In order to see how any of it worked I partially re-assembled the film advance lever so I could slip it over the shaft and cock the shutter. After I put a small amount of oil on the film advance side I cocked and fired the shutter several times and after about 5 or 10 actuations I started to see the second curtain come out after the first curtain completed it’s travel.

Once I saw this I watched the mechanism with more detail and worked out the channel that the curtain was running in. In the pictures above it is the circle in the middle of the film advance detail picture. I added a drop of oil in there and carried on firing the shutter and after another few goes the second curtain completed it’s travel! The only problem now was that there was quite a delay before the curtain moved. I spend a bit of time trying to work out why this was until I looked back at the pictures I’d taken and realised the the shutter speed was set to 1sec!!!!

So, I reset the shutter to a faster speed and everything seemed fine – the shutter moves every time and the speeds seem close to being correct. In order to calibrate them I’m going to need to work out an idea to test them but for the moment the fact that the shutter is at least working is good – except ……

Just as I was putting my tools away I held the camera up to the light and looked through the back of the camera against the light and I found that the second curtain leaks light 🙁 So it looks like I might need to get the shutter completely out of the camera and replace the shutter blind unless I can find any product that I can paint onto the shutter which will seal against light leak and still roll tightly up.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

5 Comments

  • Very nice … I’d like one of them … but as you say, they sell for a bit more than my budget. I understand the common problem is the frame spacing is off. Aki Asahi (the camera cover place) sells shutter curtain material, and shutter tape. I hope you can get it working.

    Reply
    • Thanks for the suggestion for the shutter material John. I asked on the Facebook Vintage Camera Collectors group and several people said that Dylon fabric paint, applied in layers, should do the trick. I’ll give that a try because I’ve nothing to loose if it doesn’t work but if I need to replace the blind I’ll have a look at Aki Asahi.

      Reply
      • Mike PENRITH

        Just found this interesting thread Simon. I have a near mint camera and some lenses I bought dirt cheap when working in Poland. My lenses are of a later design than the one on your camera. I used mine at camera club portrait session a few years ago, and the results more than better.
        Mike of Ryde

        Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Pin It on Pinterest

%d bloggers like this: